Monday, July 29, 2019

Dear Gardeners,

We are finally getting the sunny weather our plants are looking for!  I think they are growing taller every day I visit the garden!

Please see below for more important Community Garden information:


*RAW MILK FUNGICIDE- This week and every Saturday at 10:00 a.m., I will be providing a solution of raw milk (from our very own cows) and water to help prevent powdery mildew on your plants.  Bring your own spray bottle.  Note- this does not deter insect pests.
                                                                                           



*WHAT’S GROWING IN THE DEMO PLOT?-  The plant pictured above is edible ginger.  You can grow ginger from a piece of ginger root.  I took an organic ginger root and cut it into small pieces.  I made sure that each piece had an “eye”.  I let the cut sides dry overnight.  Then I planted the pieces eye side up.  Ginger sprouts very slowly, so I planted the pieces in pots, indoors in March.  The plants grow tall and beautiful!  The ginger root can be dug up and harvested in the fall.

*PARKING ON SATURDAY- The Farmer’s Market will be on the farm on Saturday.  It is also a Greek holiday, so the parking lots will be full.  Street parking is the only parking available.

*PLOT BORDERS- A big thank you to all of the gardeners to moved their plants and fences that were too close to the plot edges.  Thanks for being good community garden members!

*GLENVIEW FARMER'S MARKET- Visit me this Saturday, June 29, from 9:00-12:00 at the Green Table at the farmer’s market.  I will be publicizing our wonderful Community Garden.  Bring your kids to do a fun planting project!

Happy gardening!
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment