Monday, July 29, 2019

Dear Gardeners,

The plots are finally drying up and it’s time to garden.  Don’t worry, it’s not too late to plant your flowers, veggies, and herbs.  You can even plant tomatoes up until the 4th of July and still get a good late summer crop.  Also, don’t forget to come by and weed your garden.  It is easiest to weed your plot when the weeds are small and the soil is moist.  As always, if you have any questions about your garden, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Please see the other important garden information below:

*TERRIFIC TOMATOES- Registration is open for our Terrific Tomatoes gardening class.  Learn the various growing methods for successfully producing this very popular “vegetable”.  Tomato varieties, planting, staking, fertilizing, pruning, and more will be covered.  6/25/19- 6:30-8:00 pm.  $15 residents/$18 nonresidents.
Register online at www.glenviewparks.org.

*RAISED ROWS IN THE DEMO PLOT- Many gardeners have been asking how I built my raised rows in the Demo Plot (plots #1 and 2).  I used the technique from the book Raised Row gardening by Jim and Mary Competti.  First, I made a row of straw.  I covered the straw with the soil from in between my rows.  I topped my rows with Dr. Earth veggie soil mix and composted cow manure.  My plants seem to be holding up well after all of this rain thanks to my raised rows!

*MY NEW GARDEN SUGGESTION- I wanted to recommend my new favorite veggie, red orach.  It is in the spinach family.  It is pink-red in color and tastes like a tender spinach.  Red orach has a mild, delicious flavor. It is beautiful addition to your favorite salad.  I have been enjoying it raw and in smoothies.  I purchased my red orach seeds at www.rareseeds.org.  

*LENDING LIBRARY-Our lending library has been installed by the South entrance to the garden.  Come by and help yourself to a good book!  Bring a book to share if you’d like.

*GLENVIEW GARDENERS PLANT SALE- The Glenview Gardeners will be having a plant sale at the Farmer’s Market on June 22, 8:00 am- 12:00 pm.  Plants from members’ gardens will be sold and gardening tips will be provided.

Happy Gardening!
Alyssa





No comments:

Post a Comment