Thursday, July 10, 2014

Putting Food Scraps to Work


 

I've been waiting for this moment for a long time, and it's finally here -- food scrap composting in the Wagner Farm Community Garden!

I know, it may not be so exciting for everyone else. I'm a nut for composting, though. I've got cold bins, turned bins, and a worm bin at home. I read Biocycle magazine. I've closely followed the changes in Illinois law that now allow us to bring in a limited amount of off-site food scraps. And with the help of camp kids, I've installed my worm bin with 500 red wiggler worms on the demo plot. Let the food scrap composting being!
~~~
So how to compost your scraps here at WFCG:

The food composting bins are located on the south fence and have clear signs on them. (see above)

Please carefully read the lists below of what you can compost and what you can't -- bringing in items on the CAN'T list will attract critters, cause noxious smells, and ruin the batch. If in doubt -- text me.

Items you can compost here:
  • Used coffee grounds and coffee filters
  • Banana peels, apple cores, ends of celery & carrots & greens, moldy grapes
  • Egg shells
  • Stale bread, bagels and crackers
Items you CANNOT compost here:
  • Anything dairy or with dairy on it (like cheese, butter, yogurt, buttered toast)
  • Anything oily or with oil on it (like salad with dressing)
  • Fruit pits
  • CITRUS*
  • ONIONS*
  • Meat or bones
  • WEEDS
Please note: NO CITRUS OR ONIONS. People differ on whether or not they put citrus and onions in their bins, but I'm opting for not. I compost a little of both at home, but too much in a bin can overbalance it, and since this is the first time we're trying food scrap composting here, I'm erring on the side of caution.

Also keep in mind -- these bins ARE NOT FOR WEEDS. I've noticed people leaving weeds in them (signs notwithstanding), and I've even found trash in them (again, please read the signs on the top).

Trash removed from the food scrap bins one month ago
~~~
Feel free to take a peek in the can-o-worms bin on the demo plot. Only Stephanie and I will be adding food to this bin -- worms are easily overwhelmed!
How the can-o-worms works
I'll post more about food scrap composting and the worm bin later.

Let the composting begin!





No comments:

Post a Comment