Friday, April 19, 2013

In the seed-starting factory



It's nice to see flowers blooming, even if it is on a 2" tall marigold in my basement. The collards are also purpling up nicely. Spring in my basement!



The above picture shows part of my setup in the basement. I had been starting seeds under fluorescent lights on a stand in the corner of my bedroom and on a shelf in the basement, but I needed more space. Then I noticed I had a terrific spot for starting seeds -- a wire bookshelf then being used to hold cleaning equipment. I spent a happy afternoon moving the supplies, then started stringing up work lights from a big box store. It's important to keep lighting 2-4" away from seedlings, so I used the chains that came with the lights and cable ties. As I need to move the lights higher, I snap off the old cable tie and insert a new one through a different link in the chain, hitching it up higher. Works like a charm. 





2 comments:

  1. - Kinda difficult to send a question to you on this site . . . post an email address, too?
    - But, if this gets through, here's one to start: Can we use a small, gas-powered tiller (like a Mantis) to fine tune our plot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the question. No, power tools are not allowed. Our farmers will be tilling the garden plots for us.

      Delete